AGA KHAN FOUNDATION (TANZANIA)
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY IN TANZANIA
Position title: Programme Manager
AKF Tanzania is searching for a dynamic Program Manager for its multi-sector programme in Arusha. Under the Pamoja: Arusha Community Development Programme, Aga Khan Foundation Tanzania (AMY) will manage the outreach center on the AKU campus in Arusha and implement integrated conununity development activities in and near the AKU sites. With the Centre as a hub, the programme will work with community/youth groups and local government authorities in improving savings, agriculture livelihood, nutrition and health. education. early childhood development, and youth development opportunities including sports.
Background: Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) has embarked on a long-term investment plan in Arusha Region of Tanzania, centred around the development of an East African regional campus of the Aga Khan University (AKU). building on the campuses in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. As the campus develops, AKDN secs an opportunity to strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders including communities, local government, private sector and civil society organisations, through the implementation of a contextually relevant and demand driven multi-sector programme and operations in Arusha. AKDN has laid a foundation and partnership with the neighbouring communities for gradual expansion towards a long-term multi-sector programme in Arusha with the ultimate goal being improving the quality of life of the communities in the Arusha district and beyond.
Over the past four years, AKF in collaboration with AKU has been implementing a multi-sector community development initiative in areas around the AKU campus site. This program now called the Pamoja: Arusha Community Development Programme will continue to grow in terms of reach and activities and includes: building on the ongoing savings group programme to reach additional groups; increase income opportunities for smallholder farmers in the horticulture value chain through improved productivity and access to market; capacity building of pre-primary and primary teachers to deliver quality education and strengthen the capacity of caregivers, community members, civil society and government to create child friendly early education environments through an early childhood development programme; and management of the youth and community outreach center.
Reporting to the Director of Programme, AKF Tanzania, the Programme Manager will be responsible for managing a small and growing multi-disciplinary team and for quality implementation of the multi-sector program in target areas of Arusha. The Programme Manager will work closely with the AKU Project Site Manager and AKF Tanzania’s sector lead to coordinate all of AKF’s initiatives in the Arusha region working in partnership with AKU.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Lead, manage and mentor a multi-disciplinary team
• Plan and steer Arusha multi-sector program implementation, budget control, human resource supervision, and reporting;
• Develop annual workplan and budget development and quarterly reports on progress.
• Lead and supervise the planning, implementation and monitoring of Pamoja multi-sector community Smelopment program that includes interventions in savings
group, agriculture and horticulture development, pre-primary and primary education, community health and nutrition, and early childhood education activities.
• Lead and supervise AKU’s Community Outreach Centre activities to ensure that the centre is a vibrant place for youth development, early childhood development, women’s development, and overall community development activities. Facilitate programme team to increase community access to the Outreach Center’s services in early childhood education, financial inclusion and agriculture livelihood opportunities, youth development and sporting activities;
• Manage relationship with regional and district government authorities as well as communities for participatory planning and implementation;
• Ensure quality delivery, impact, and cost effectiveness of the project.
▪ Ensure compliance with donor and AKF regulations and policies
• Foster a culture of team building and support, integrity, high performance and accountability.
Support resource mobilization and fundraising for the community development activities including writing proposals together with the AKF team in Dar es Slaam.
• Minimum of BSc in Development studies or related field. Preferably a Masters in Development but candidates with experience will be looked at closely.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project management focused on community development, savings group or similar sector.
• Core understanding of community development and coordination among multiple development sectors
• Demonstrated ability to manage team and foster team work
• Must have a good sense for efficiency and effectiveness, and an eye for innovation.
• A strong work ethic, energetic, creative, and willing to learn.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work on tight timelines
• Strong understanding of community development and coordination
• Must be passionate about community development and improving the quality of life of communities
• Must be willing to live in Arusha Tanzania and spend long periods in rural areas.
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity should submit a cover letter explaining why they are best suited for this particular position, CV (not exceeding 4 pages) and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 2nd April, 2018, to the Country Director – Aga Khan Foundation, Tanzania, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Source: Daily News March 22, 2018